- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
August 1, 2010
ALERT: THE FLEAS ARE HAVING A PARTY!
The dry summer initially made for a moderate flea season. But an immense downpour a few weeks ago seems to have prompted flea eggs to have a coming out party! We are getting many, many calls and visits from pet owners needing flea prevention medicine. Using these products on a monthly basis will prevent infestations. But, if you find your pet has fleas, it's never too late. Dose with the monthly preventives and repeat in 30 days.
We recommend year-round prevention, but if you prefer to only treat when you see fleas, *you will need 2-3 months of treatment*. Fleas can also cause tapeworms. If your pet has them, you will need to additionally treat for this internal parasite. Some products can be sold through our hospital one month (1 tube) at a time, or in cost saving boxes of larger quantities. Others are only sold by the box (call to inquire).
Bayer products (Advantage, Advantix and Advantage Multi): buy a box of 6 tubes, get 1 tube free
(*free tube offer made available to us by Bayer only to current patients*)
We also have Frontline Plus (dogs & cats) and the new chewable Comfortis (dogs) - great for dogs who are bathed or swim often. Advantage (cats & dogs) and Advantix (dogs) ONLY do not require a prescription. The other products do and, as with all prescription medicines, require that we have a *current* exam on record. Advantage Multi also requires a negative heartworm test. All products are dosed by weight, so an accurate weight is required for effective dosing and safety. Call or stop in for more information.
WARNING.... please remember that cats are not small dogs. NEVER put a flea preventive designed for dogs on your cat, whether it is a prescription product, or over the counter spot-on or shampoo. Flea preventive products are designed specifically for either cats or dogs. Cats who are dosed with dog products will have serious medical complications and may possibly die.
*NOTE* most flea preventives are guaranteed by the manufacturer ONLY when purchased through a veterinarian so that we can make sure that pet owners are properly instructed on use, that dosage is appropriate and the product is protected by trusted, safe shipping conditions.
July 22, 2010
The Chautauqua County Health Department has issued an advisory regarding the toxic blue-green algae bloom on Chautauqua, Bear, Cassadaga and Findley Lakes. This particular algae forms a thick paint-like appearance on the surface of the water and is potentially very toxic if ingested by humans and animals. The staff and doctors are warning all pet owners to keep their pets from drinking the surface water of these lakes and to avoid swimming in the lakes until the threat has passed.
The following an information bulletin from the NYS Department of Health:
These questions and answers provide information to address health concerns about exposure to blue-green algal toxins in surface waters (lakes, rivers, streams and reservoirs).
Information Bulletin....Blue-green Algae
What are blue-green algae?
Blue-green algae, technically known ascyanobacteria, are microscopic organisms that are naturally present in lakes and streams. They usually are present in low numbers. Blue-green algae can become very abundant in warm, shallow, undisturbed surface water that receives a lot of sunlight. When this occurs, they can form blooms that discolor the water or produce floating rafts or scums on the surface of the water.
What are the potential health effects from drinking or coming in contact with water containing blue-green algae?
Some blue-green algae produce toxins that could pose a health risk to people and animals when they are exposed to them in large enough quantities. Health effects could occur when surface scums or water containing high levels of blue-green algal toxins are swallowed, through contact with the skin or when airborne droplets containing toxins are inhaled while swimming, bathing or showering.
Consuming water containing high levels of blue-green algal toxins has been associated with effects on the liver and on the nervous system in laboratory animals, pets, livestock and people. Livestock and pet deaths have occurred when animals consumed very large amounts of accumulated algal scum from along shorelines.
Direct contact or breathing airborne droplets containing high levels of blue-green algal toxins during swimming or showering can cause irritation of the skin, eyes, nose and throat and inflammation in the respiratory tract.
Surface water affected by blue-green algae often is so strongly colored that it can develop a paint-like appearance.
Recreational contact, such as swimming, and household contact, such as bathing or showering, with water not visibly affected by a blue-green algae bloom is not expected to cause health effects. However, some individuals could be especially sensitive to even low levels of algal toxins and might experience mild symptoms such as skin, eye or throat irritation or allergic reactions.
There is less information available about the potential health effects of long-term exposure to low levels of blue-green algal toxins. Some limited evidence from human studies suggests that long-term consumption of untreated surface waters containing high levels of blue-green algal toxins could be associated with an increased risk of liver cancer. However, people in these studies also were exposed to other factors associated with liver cancer. As a result, it is unknown whether algal toxin exposure contributed to this risk.
Long-term, continuous exposure to algal toxins in the Northeast is unlikely, because blue-green algal blooms are likely to occur only during the hottest part of the summer. New York State public water supplies that use surface water sources also have operational controls to minimize the introduction of blue-green algae in drinking water.
How do I know if I am being exposed to blue-green algae?
People should suspect that blue-green algae could be present in water that is visibly discolored or that has surface scums. Colors can include shades of green, blue-green, yellow, brown or red. Water affected by blue-green algal blooms often is so strongly colored that it can develop a paint-like appearance.
Unpleasant tastes or odors are not reliable indicators of blue-green algal toxins or other toxic substances, because species producing blue-green algal toxins may or may not also produce chemicals that affect the taste or odor of drinking water. Similarly, the absence of unpleasant tastes and odors does not guarantee the absence of blue-green algal toxins.
Avoiding exposure to blue-green algae
Never drink untreated surface water, whether or not algae blooms are present.Untreated surface water may contain other bacteria, parasites or viruses, as well as algal toxins, that all could cause illness if consumed.
People not on public water supplies should not drink surface water,even if it is treated, during an algal bloom because in-home treatments such as boiling and disinfecting water with chlorine or UV and water filtration units do not protect people from blue-green algal toxins.
If washing dishes in untreated surface water is unavoidable, rinsing with bottled water may reduce possible residues.While we don't know if water containing low levels of blue-green algal toxins could leave residues on dishes, taking this precaution may help reduce possible exposures.
People, pets and livestock should avoid contact with water that is discolored or has scums on the surface.Colors can include shades of green, blue-green, yellow, brown or red. If contact does occur, wash with soap and water or rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae.
Stop using the water and seek medical attention if neededif symptoms such as skin, eye or throat irritation, allergic reactions or breathing difficulties occur while in contact with untreated surface waters. However, swimming, bathing or showering with water not visibly affected by a blue-green algae bloom is not expected to cause health effects.
Where to get more information
NYS Department of Health Bureau of Toxic Substance Assessmentph: 800-458-1158 ext. 2-7820
NYS Department of HealthCenter for Environmental Health547 River Street, Troy, NY 12180